Culinary arts students prepare a gourmet meal
Gourmet meals prepared by award-winning chefs and served in Grossmont College’s new student center will be offered on Thursday evenings this spring for the bargain price of $20 per person.
The meals are prepared by students in Grossmont College’s Culinary Arts program under the guidance of Chef Joe Orate. Grossmont’s culinary arts students have won numerous culinary awards through the years, and Orate was recently honored as "Chef Educator of the Year 2012" by the San Diego Chefs Association. Two Grossmont culinary students, Cindy Meyer and Vanessa Huynh, also received President's Medallion awards for their participation in fundraising events on behalf of the San Diego Chefs Association.
The meals will be served in the Culinary Dining Room at Grossmont College’s Griffin Center, the new student center that opened last month. Diners will look out on a scenic view of East County as they enjoy their meals.
Dinners will be served at 5:30 p.m. on the following dates: February 23, March 1, March 8, March 15, March 22, March 29, April 19, April 26, May 3 and May 10.
Entrée choices for the spring are:
- Pasta Alfredo with Diced Vegetables and Spinach tossed in Tomato Cream and topped with a Parmesan Crisp.
- Braised Beef with Braised Red Cabbage, Spring Vegetables and a Horseradish Glaze
- Panko Breaded Eggplant Lasagna with Cauliflower and Potato Mash, Feta Cheese, Herb Garlic Tomato Sauce and Basil Olive Oil.
- Rosemary Crusted Pork Medallions with Julienne Vegetables and a Dijon Demi Glace
A package offering dinner and a play at Grossmont’s Stagehouse Theatre is also available on the following evenings:
- March 8: the musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- March 15: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- May 3: Lost in Yonkers, a Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning play
- May 10: Lost in Yonkers