Thursday, February 14, 2013

Grant helps Grossmont College student fulfill her dream

Grossmont and Cuyamaca colleges will be hosting Give the Dream, a series of fundraising events throughout East County on Saturday, March 16. Money raised from the events will be used for Dreamkeepers, a program that makes emergency grants to students facing unexpected financial harships. For more information about the event, go to www.givethedream.net.
Here's a profile of one student who benefitted from a Dreamkeepers grant.


Arianne Moseley

When Arianne Moseley took her truck in to get the tires refilled, the service manager apologetically told her that her tires were so old that doing so would be too dangerous. He then pointed out that she was putting lives at risk whenever she got behind the wheel.
With four children ranging in age from 12-21 still at home, the Grossmont College student depended heavily on the 10-year-old truck, but she heeded the warning and began riding the bus to get around. The Lakeside resident said it took 1½ hours to get to get to the campus from her Lakeside home.
“I did a three-hour commute five days a week because of classes and my work-study job on campus,” said Moseley, an administration of justice major who eventually wants to help prison inmates with recovery.
A student worker in the Extended Opportunities Program and Services office, Moseley was familiar with Dreamkeepers, and decided to seek help.
“It was awesome – I was truly blessed,” she said. “I got $500 and through connections my ex had, I was able to get four new tires out the door for my truck. I no longer had to put the lives of my kids at risk.”