In celebration of Constitution Week Sept. 17-23, both Grossmont and Cuyamaca colleges have set up events to commemorate this cornerstone document that is the foundation of America’s legal system.
All events are free and open to the public.
Cuyamaca College will celebrate Constitution Day Tuesday, Sept. 17, by welcoming federal Judge Louise DeCarl Adler, a U.S. bankruptcy court judge for the Southern District of California, from 11 a.m. to noon in Rooms 207-208 in the student center . Judge Adler will provide insight into the Bill of Rights and its effect on the public’s fundamental rights.
Judge Adler, who has served on the bench since 1984, served as the first female president of the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges from 1994-1995. Before being appointed to the bench, she was in private law practice in San Diego for 12 years, specializing in debtor and trustee representation and serving as a bankruptcy trustee for the Southern District from 1974-1979.
A question and answer period will follow her presentation.
|Constitution Day 2012 at Grossmont College|
At Grossmont College, Wednesday, Sept. 18, has been set aside as Constitution Day with a variety of activities planned:
· A Constitution wall in the patio of Griffin Center (Building 60) for passersby to post thoughts, questions, artwork, and comments on what the Constitution means to them
· Screenings of the film, “American Independence, 1776,” between 9 a.m.-4 p.m. in Griffin Center
· Giveaways while supplies last of a free pocket Constitution, courtesy of the Grossmont College Financial Aid Office and the Associated Students of Grossmont College. The giveaway is from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at the ASGC, Inc. Office in Room 110 of Griffin Center
· The San Diego chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution will be represented in period costumes from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Griffin Center patio, where a voter registration drive and student government information booth will be set up.
· Political science professor Joseph Braunwarth will give a lecture, “Constitution Day on the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington,” from 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m. in Room 577 of Building 51.
Cuyamaca College is at 900 Rancho San Diego Parkway in the community of Rancho San Diego. Grossmont College is at 8800 Grossmont College Drive in El Cajon.