The freshest news and views from the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District
Tuesday, June 28, 2016
10 reasons why veterans should attend Grossmont and Cuyamaca colleges
Are you a military veteran contemplating college? Here are
10 reasons why you should consider attending Grossmont or Cuyamaca colleges:
1. Priority class registration for those enrolling
within four years after their military service. First-in-line privileges are a
major benefit to veterans, especially for high-demand, general education
2. Counselors well-versed in the needs of veterans.
Workshops, orientations, as well as veteran-specific counseling, assessments
and educational planning are offered.
3.Transition-skills classes help veterans improve
their note-taking and testing, time management, and other skills needed for
4. Veteran services are based on a comprehensive
network between Admission and Records, Financial Aid, Disabled Students
Programs and Services, and Counseling.
5. Veteran Affairs Offices with staff trained in
the certification of classes to ensure veterans are receiving VA benefits such
as housing allowances and payment for fees and textbooks promptly and
6. Veterans Resource Centers staffed by veterans
provide access to computers and assistive technologies, academic counseling,
peer support and mentoring, financial aid resources and referrals to outside
7. VA Work Study programs that provide paid work
experience at the colleges’ veterans’ offices, VA Regional Office, VA medical
facilities or at state employment offices.
8. Veterans are connected to community-based
resources for those who need assistance with post-traumatic stress disorder
counseling and learning disability assessment.
9. VA-backed programs provide private tutoring to
10. Student Veteran Organizations foster camaraderie
between members and provide outreach to fellow veterans.