Some Zoom Rooms will be added.
Grossmont and Cuyamaca colleges are preparing for the fall 2021 semester with the start of a return to the campuses that includes more in-person classes and a continuing focus on helping students face the impacts of COVID-19.
To safely return to in-person, on-campus classes and services, the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District has concluded that all students attending face-to-face classes or seeking access to in-person services on the campuses are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by the start of the fall semester on Aug. 16, 2021.
District staff are currently developing a process to document and confidentially track the vaccination status of students, Chancellor Lynn Neault said, adding that forms for religious or medical exemptions will be made available.
“As we have been preparing to eagerly welcome students back to our campuses for the fall, it has become increasingly clear that the delta variant is causing a surge in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths among the unvaccinated; our ongoing commitment continues to be the health and safety of our students, employees and community,” Neault said.
“We want to make this process as convenient as possible by having online and drop-off options available for proof of vaccination,” she said.
Students choosing not to vaccinate are encouraged to register for online classes, which will comprise about 70 percent of the course offerings this fall. Open online registration continues till August 15 for classes that begin Aug.16, and will continue beyond for late starting classes.
With most classes being held online, Grossmont and Cuyamaca College have had to find a variety of ways to offer instruction and serve students. They include:
- In-person registration assistance starting June 28 and continuing till Aug. 13 at Cuyamaca College. Book an appointment at com/ccregapp
- In person registration help at Grossmont until August 5. Reserve a slot at https://grossmont.mywconline.com/index.php?logout=YES
- An in-person Welcome Success Fair at Grossmont College for a variety of student services from 9-11 a.m. and 5:30-7:30 p.m., Aug. 5 at the Main Quad. Reservations are available at Eventbrite.com/e/welcome-success-fair-tickets
- Virtual campuses for students at Cuyamaca College and Grossmont College that offer a repository of information and resources for students navigating online.
- Virtual help desks that offer Zoom sessions with student ambassadors to offer peer assistance on issues like applying for admission or filling out forms.
- Wireless hotspots in parking lots and open areas at both campuses to accommodate students in need of free internet access.
All classes will follow safety precautions, including face masks and social distancing. Some of the classes will be held outdoors to reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus.
More information about the new vaccine policy is available at www.gcccd.edu/vaccine
Class schedules, as well as enrollment and registration information for both colleges, are available at www.gcccd.edu/now .